Monday, September 27, 2010

Random Thoughts on Training and a mini Proto-Mechanic entry...

I feel as if my training has hit a pretty good place. Even my assistance Sunday day is making me feel stronger. My back is definately getting B and S. Now that I have a meet to shoot for and a total in mind with the possibility of Raw Unity on the horizon, I am getting nervous and jerky. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about numbers and percentages.

My training got better once I was able to focus and calm down a bit, and that is what I need to do this week. this will be a true deload week for me, perhaps the first I have ever actually taken. I do not want to break the momentum, but I have tended, in the past, to just keep hammering away until I get hurt or things started to go badly.

Concerned about my left shoulder and wondering if overhead pressing is working for me and I am not sure what to do about kick starting my bench, but overall I feel pretty good. Abs and back are nice and sore this morning. It is about time to mix things up a bit, I can feel some stagnation setting in.

In addition to being deload this week, I am also using this week as a weight test. I was at 247.5 on Sunday and want to be at 242.5 or less on Friday. Will take in my usual gallon plus of water a day until Thursday and then limit water to meals. Will watch my eating and while still back-loading on training days, will try to show some restraint. If this works this week, I will use the same plan week of the meet.

Goals for the last few weeks of heavy training:

want to hit 545 x 5 on the squat, then follow that with a 585 triple and a 615 double. That should put me about where I was when I hit 645 @270.

Bench: 330 x 5, 350 x 3, 370 x 2

Deadlift: 515 x 5, 545 x 3, 575 x 2

If I can hit these numbers I want to go:

585 625 650
345 365 385
545 590 605
1475 1580 1640

Will tweak at the meet or as we get closer. RUM qualifier is 1554. Raw "elite" outside of RUM is 1607. I really want 1600+ and anything over 1625 would be a meet PR regardless of weight. Can't decide if I am shooting to high or not, but it feels doable. But it all starts with this deload, and we will go from there.


Mini Adventure of Proto-Mechanic
The Place: Highway 84, 1/2 mile from Trudie Road
The Job: Flat tire on the Frankenfocus
Time: 15 minutes

I have known for weeks that the front tires on the Frankenfocus were less than ideal, but there was nothing I could do about it... unless my hand was forced. When the blubbada-blubbada started, Proto-Mechanic senses told me the hand had been forced. Once I got pulled over, it was a sure thing: flat tire.

I had this fear that there was either no-jack or tire iron in the Frankenfocus. That would have been "Balls Nasty" as I forgot to pick up my cell that morning. We in luck, everything is in place. The jack will not go under the car because it is now too close to the ground. Enlist the help of Gage, Gajo, Joe, Joe-Joe the dog-faced boy, Havahd Joe to pull up on the body so's I can slip the jack under. EPJ, kids.

A side note: the county needs to mow the grass out there, the jack handle kept getting wrapped up in the long grass. It was at that point that I decided to stay calm and just get to it. Holy crap! But my shoulders were talking to me. Never a good idea to do back and shoulders the day before tire changing.

I had a horrible vision of getting the old tire off and then the car falling because the jack slipped in the grass. No dice, we were on our way in about fifteen minutes. Need to get two new front tires: $120 bucks mounted and balanced at the Guitar player for the Band, Robbie Robertson Ford, where Proto-Mechanic gets all the poop done he is too lazy to do himself.

Now, to come up with $120 bucks for mounted and balanced tires.

No comments: